Award winning care begins with award winning caregivers.
CaraVita Home Care’s caregivers are the foundation of our company. They are the first line of service which is why we pride ourselves on only hiring the most experienced and qualified caregivers in the industry. All our caregivers are employees and are fully insured for worker’s compensation, liability, and criminal insurance. We also commit to an in-depth orientation and ongoing continuing education to improve the level of our skills. We often bring in guest lecturers including the area ombudsman, home health and hospice nurses, and others.
The interview and hiring process.
Our hiring process begins with the following steps:
- An application review and minimum experience threshold check.
- A pre-hire qualiﬁcation interview.
- Registry review.
- Skill check/Review
- Criminal background check and MVA if driving.
- A problem solving interview.
- Detailed references check.
Only those caregivers most qualified to serve the community are hired. We welcome those unique and talented individuals to the CaraVita family with Orientation. We are proud of our orientation class. It is hands-on and participatory and reviews the following:
- Philosophy of Care
- Review of policy and procedures
- Employee handbook and safety
- Blood borne pathogens
- Change of condition reporting
- Standards of operations
- Customer service
- Family and in–home expectations
- Senior Living Community expectations
- Art of Dementia Care
Offered throughout the year for caregivers, families, and open to the public.
- End of Life Care
- Medication Management
- Proxy Care
- Diabetic Care
- How to Understand Families
- Restorative Exercises and Transfers
- Hoyer Lift Training
- Parkinson’s Care
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid
- Virtual Dementia Tour® for all new hires and ongoing staff
- Dementia 1- 2.5 hour class that reviews: disease, stages and abilities, grief cycle, and approaches to care
- Dementia 2- 2.5 hour class that reviews: behaviors, prompts and cues, Life Story, and functional schedule
- Dementia 3- 2.5 hour class that reviews: case scenarios, activities, behavior problem solving, and tests knowledge (Caregivers must complete 8 hours of Dementia Care training and pass exam to receive Dementia Specialist certification.)
Diversity in skill and background.
Our caregivers are trained for a wide set of needs. Some are multi-lingual and some provide Specialized Services such as our Hospital-to-Home Program, Proxy Care (for trachs, ostomies, hoyer lifts, catheters, etc.), and others lead memory care activities and social groups.
Our RN’s are able to assess whether we can provide a specialized service and train the family and staff. Our nurses and physical therapist provides personal training in client’s homes to individualize care solutions.
CaraVita’s commitment to excellence, and to community.
We honor a Caregiver of the Month and Dementia Caregiver of the Year with an award and feature story in our newsletter. Additionally, we certify Dementia Specialists after they have been trained and pass a Dementia Care Certification exam and practicum. We think that supporting our caregivers is important. We offer social get togethers and service projects such as building a Habitat for Humanity house and taking up a special offerings for emergency relief or mission work.